In an effort to post more on my blog, I’ve decided to start the “10 Things”… thing, where you post 10 things, any things, on the 10th of each month. I thought a good way to open 2012 would be with 10 things I want to accomplish in the new year. :)
1. Post on my blog more. Pretty much any time I’ve said I’m going to do this in the past, it’ll be the last thing I post for months. That’s pretty much a trend for me… I haven’t regularly posted on a blog since I was in high school. I just don’t feel like anything I have to say is important, or that anyone would care, really. Though… blogs are written for yourself, right? I don’t know. I’m just not a very interesting person. So, we’ll see how this goes. I don’t even know if I’ll have enough topics to write about on a regular basis. “Hey, the baby did this…”
2. Be more positive about my outlook on… stuff. I’m pretty much Debbie Downer IRL. Any time I think I’m doing well at something, anything, I get discouraged by the smallest little thing. So this year I’m going to try to combat that. I’m not the best at crafty stuff, I’m not the best at art, I’m not the best mom or the best wife or the best cook, but hey… I get by. So that’s what I’m gonna try to focus on. I’m good enough for me.
3. Draw more. Not doodle, like I always call it. Draw. I need to stop fighting myself and just realize that my chibis ARE my style. I can draw more realistically, yes, but chibis are what I’m most comfortable with. And with something I’m not confident in to begin with, comfortable is good.
4. (Try to) drink less soda. I have a really, really bad addiction to caffeine. I can’t deny it. I’ve tried to cut back a thousand times, and every time I’ve gone right back to where I was. I’ve been on a 2-3 can a day thing for a couple of years, but it still gets worse on the weekends. I’m sad that 2-3 for me is GOOD. So far this year I’ve tried to do 2 a day at MOST. I’ve broken that once. So far so good, I suppose.
5. Keep up on scrapbooking. One of the things I regret from my childhood & teen years is that I don’t have many photos or accessible memories from them. I kept a blog when I was a teen, but of course it’s full of your typical teenage journal entries. LIFE IS SO DARK GOSH ahem. Scrapbooking lets me preserve those memories & is also a wonderful creative outlet. I have the first… week of Arya’s life done, so I’d like to finish her whole first-year book before the year is done. ;) Of course, I also want to do some non-baby scrappin’, like the page pictured above.
6. Cook more home-cooked meals. I’m actually making the baby’s food at home, too. Chris & I just tend to eat like crap, so I’m trying to be better about grocery shopping & cooking meals at home. We’ve been eating great for dinner so far, but now I have to figure out lunch. ;)
7. Spend more time with the family. The other day I took Arya to the park, and put her in a swing. It was an amazing day out (in the 60s during winter in Colorado? Well, okay), and watching her just made me so happy. I’d love to do that again, and take Chris, too. We just need to go out and do more things as a family. (I have to admit I’m super excited about free museum days when the nugget’s old enough!)
8. Take better care of myself. Especially now, with the baby, whom I’m usually putting before me. I’m notorious for not really taking good care of myself to begin with, and I’ve been really stressed lately because of it. I have no idea what this is going to entail, but I’ll have to figure it out. It might entail having to convince Chris to give me more massages. Ohhh, that‘ll work out.
9. Do more of the things I love. Like listening to music, just jamming on the couch on a late night. Driving to nowhere, just to drive. Write. I hope to write more short stories this year, and hopefully rekindle my energy to finish editing my novel. Maybe I’ll just go sit in a coffee shop and write again. That was pretty cool the one time I did it. (lol)
10. Above all, relax. Anxiety is something I’ve always had issues with. I guess this kind of goes hand in hand with #8, but it’s a little more involved, too. I need to focus on me, and be okay with what I can’t change. Be alright with the world. Talk to good people more, surround myself with love and happiness. Unwind, just let things be. This is a huge undertaking and something I’ve never been able to do, but this year I’m going to try to just… let go.
So there it is. My 10 on the 10th for January. I suppose that’s a good list. I’m not holding myself to it rigidly. They’re more… guidelines. Ha. But really, I’m looking forward to 2012 and all the fun things it’s going to bring.
Except for a mobile baby holy crap I am NOT ready for that.